One of the goals I had when arriving to Italy was to have a sit down meal, with real italians, in a real italian home, with real italian food. I can now say I have checked this goal off my list. Fortunately, two of my roommates made friends with a few local guys that are our age earlier this week. They insisted that they make us a real italian dinner some night. I did not know what I was getting myself into.
We arrived to one the boy's family home around 9 pm Saturday night. They were busy chopping, cleaning, and making food in the kitchen. Shortly after exploring the home, a plate full of prosciutto, salami, aged cheeses, apple-red pepper jelly, and crostini's topped with a tomato, basil cheese sauce arrived on the terrace for us to eat.
This was just the start.
We all tried to help in the kitchen but the boys insisted we sit and enjoy ourself while they make us dinner. About an hour later, the second course was ready. Bocatini pasta with a onion, tomato sauce, with hunks of Guanciale. Apparently this dish is famous in the Marche region. Bocatini pasta is essentially spaghetti that is hollow. Guanciale is pig-cheek. It was very tough and had the consistency of bacon.
 |
| Sauce simmering |

 |
Final Product
During dinner we chatted about music, movies, language, etc. Italians love American music such as Norah Jones, Bruce Springsteen, Queen, etc. They also love American movies and TV shows.. especially Star Wars and Family Guy. The language barrier was tough but they tried their best to help us. We had moments where they only spoke english and we only spoke the very small amount of Italian we know. It was an interesting night.
After cleaning up from dinner it was time for the best part of my night: DESSERT. Roger made us homemade Tiramisu. He was making it when we arrived so it would be chilled and ready for dessert time. To be honest, I had the WORST tiramisu in Venice. It was frozen in the middle and it just ruined it for me. I was really hoping that this tiramisu I was about to eat would change my mind.
It did. It was hands down, the best tiramisu I have ever had in my life. When it was gone I wanted more, but the he made the perfect amount and there was none left.
Roomies
Us and the chefs!
Now they want us to make them an American dinner.. We are not quite sure if we can top it.
|
I love reading about your italian adventures Chris..hoping I can soon be a little part of it :D Looks like you're exploring pros and cons of the italian life style..that's good! Have a blast and don't drink too much wine. Kidding. Love ya
ReplyDeleteCecilia